There was a time when one of my greatest challenges was keeping Ally bug bite-free. We’d go to sleep and when we wake up, she’d have two or three bites. We’d let her go out and play and she’d acquire a couple more. Worse, she’d keep scratching them until they became wounds. We tried different insect repellent lotions, including the popular brands from the supermarket but nothing seemed to work for long. What’s more, we quickly realized that these lotions were strong enough to sting. I discovered that when I put some lotion on her then unconsciously touched my face afterwards. I was surprised by how much the lotion stung my face.
Finally, I came across Human Heart Nature Bug Shield DEET-Free Oil on the Internet. This has been our favorite insect repellent product since then. Here’s what you should know about it.
Helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, Glycine soja (soy bean) oil, Cymbopogon winterianus (citronella) essential oil, Citrus sinensis (orange) essential oil, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) essential oil, glyceryl caprylate (coconut, palm and glycerin derived)
50ml – PHP 99.75
100ml – PHP 169.75
Where to buy:
Human Heart Nature branches
Metro Ayala supermarket
What I like about this product:
– It’s certified organic. The ingredients used are all natural and free of strong chemicals that could have long-term negative effects on the body.
– I love this brand’s advocacy. Human Heart Nature is pro-Philippines, pro-poor and pro-environment. Learn more about the company here.
– It’s highly effective. Once we started using this, Ally would hardly ever get insect bites. In the past she would get at least a couple of bug bites every day, and she’d constantly scratch them. Now, she only gets one occasionally, and this usually happens when she’s been active or when we’re out and we missed to reapply the oil.
– Even though it’s potent, it doesn’t sting. I don’t have to worry about Ally touching her skin and accidentally touching her face then crying from the stinging pain, though we still make it a point to avoid getting oil on her fingers and we wash our hands after applying the oil.
– It doubles as an insecticide for ants! I use it as a natural ant killer at home. What we do is to keep a spray bottle handy, and fill it halfway with water then pour some of the oil in and shake the bottle to mix. Whenever you see a line of ants, just spray to kill them and get rid of their trail. This is not something I can easily do with other chemical insecticides as their fumes are toxic. Be careful, however, when spraying on the wall or floor as the oil will make the floor slippery. Wipe the floor afterwards with soap and water.
– It’s affordable! Most organic insect repellents are expensive but this oil is one of the more budget-friendly ones. You can also opt for their lotion variant if you don’t like the feel of oil. I love the lotion, too, but the bottle of oil lasts longer. For our daughter, the oil lasts about two weeks and we usually use it at least 4 times a day; while the lotion lasted around a week.
What I don’t like:
– It has a distinct herbal smell. Some people might not like it but I think this is one of the reasons it’s effective. I just make sure to spray some cologne on our daughter’s clothes if we’re going out.
– You need to reapply it every 4-6 hours depending on how active your child has been. Before, I wasn’t as meticulous as I am now when it comes to reapplying the oil and as a result, our daughter contracted the chikungunya virus, which is similar to dengue fever. She was likely bitten by a mosquito when we went out and we forgot to reapply the oil on her. Now, I make it a habit to apply the oil on her everyday whether we’re at home or out but especially just before we go out and I keep a small bottle of it in my bag to reapply every few hours.
– My husband doesn’t like the pump container. It’s a bit hard to pump out more oil when your hands are already slippery. We transfer the oil instead to another container so that we can easily pour it.
As you can see, Human Heart Nature Bug Shield DEET-Free Oil is an essential part of our child’s skincare routine and it’s one product I’d highly recommend for your family as well. No more bug bites, no stinging sensation, and no harmful chemicals, plus you can use it a natural ant killer without the poisonous fumes.